Print Topic - Archive

Crooked Dice Forum  /  7TV  /  Megacity One Project (pic heavy)
Posted by: Andym, November 4, 2014, 11:59am
So Robo1 has a lot to answer for! ;) After seeing his thread on 7TV Dredd it got me thinking I'd like to do my own 2000AD/7TV.

[url] http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1360010010/[/url]

I've been trying to come up with some game and board ideas that I'd like to try and build. I always feel future boards are very flat and two dimensional, so to start with I'd like a board with a bit of height. My only issue with this,  is tall buildings quickly become a gaming bottleneck. The only way in and out being the ground floor. So my thinking is to have modular tower blocks so that the levels will be interchangeable and have some of the levels with attachments for walkways between the blocks. My other thing I think would be good for height would be raised freeways. Maybe at different heights and angles. I need to try and make it so it's not so cluttered you can't get down to move minis and measure ranges!

This is the inspiration I've found around the net...

I really like the towers in the first pic. I think they'd suit being modular. I'll just make the front halves and position them at the board edges.

Heres some of my ideas to add to that. ..

I've being following this guys tutorial on LAF to do concrete and I've used it for the first of four base boards. Each one is 24"x24".

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=26860.0

I've also got a couple of OOP Antenocities hover cars which are not on telescopic aerials so the height can be changed

And this is where it all stands at the mo..

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 4, 2014, 2:37pm; Reply: 1
weeping… so gorgeous...
Posted by: republic of tolworth, November 4, 2014, 4:22pm; Reply: 2
Gosh  8)
Posted by: Robo1, November 4, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Very Impressive!

Must admit I've been through the same process as you in that I want to represent some height, but you have to have easy access to game on it? (I also have the extra handicap that I'm nowhere near as good at terrain modelling as you are - so I've chickened out so far ??)

I did a little bit of playtesting with the character stats I'd done on the old Necromunda scenery and this seemed to work quite well and  I've wondered whether I could build something like that but more Mega City one looking. (Also I don't have a lot of storage space so that's also a consideration).

However yours is looking excellent so far (as usual) ;D

One idea I thought of was maybe trying to use a clear acetate or similar for floors and walkways to let the light through? (Another issue with tall boards)

Must try and get my rules typed up into one document (this may have just got me motivated again!)
Posted by: Red Shirt 1, November 4, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 4
This insanity must end!

It's Gorgeous!

I can't wait to see the finished work.
Posted by: Hawkeye, November 4, 2014, 10:23pm; Reply: 5
Nice one where did you find the images re buildings. :)
Posted by: Brummie, November 4, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 6
Robo1 try these. Might make a good start that can be dressed up. There is a slightly smaller £50 set but its fills a 4x4 board nicely with a few extras

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wargames-Scenery-war-hammer-40-k-necro-munda-Industrial-Terrain-Set-/201094641397?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item2ed22cb6f5
Posted by: Andy T, November 4, 2014, 11:57pm; Reply: 7
For back drops and further ideas, have a gander at the artwork of Derek Riggs' painting for Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time album cover. The vinyl version is better as it's bigger.
Posted by: Andym, November 5, 2014, 6:42am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Robo1
Very Impressive!

Must admit I've been through the same process as you in that I want to represent some height, but you have to have easy access to game on it? (I also have the extra handicap that I'm nowhere near as good at terrain modelling as you are - so I've chickened out so far ??)

I did a little bit of playtesting with the character stats I'd done on the old Necromunda scenery and this seemed to work quite well and  I've wondered whether I could build something like that but more Mega City one looking. (Also I don't have a lot of storage space so that's also a consideration).

However yours is looking excellent so far (as usual) ;D

One idea I thought of was maybe trying to use a clear acetate or similar for floors and walkways to let the light through? (Another issue with tall boards)

Must try and get my rules typed up into one document (this may have just got me motivated again!)

I was hoping the same thing with the Necromunda style board. I'm hoping if I have enough walkways between buildings and other ways to go up and down the board it will make it playable.

I hadn't even considered the light thing. I'm hoping to leave enough space to play round though! I'm not sure the acetate (while giving you light) would look the part though! :-/

If your struggling with terrain, why not go down the route of toy/scrap bashing. Someone on the LAF suggested using super soakers and nerf guns for terrain. My brother and myself dismantled an old broken Dyson last night to use the funky shapes in it!

If you ever get the rules written mate and I ever get my board finished AND if there's ever a Crooked Dice games get-together we might actually get a game together!!

@Hawkeye-if you stick in a search fir concept buildings, theres a lot of good artists out there that have done the hard part and dreamed up these ideas.

Posted by: Robo1, November 5, 2014, 12:28pm; Reply: 9
Fair point on the acetate - its always a balance between looking the part and being playable.

As to kit bashing toys, appliances etc; I've been through that collecting all sorts and then throwing them out again as I've nowhere really to keep them - Storage is my biggest issue.
Recently I've been buying terrain that you can slot/clip together and dismantle again for storage. Maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing but functional, hence the Necromunda thoughts. (On that note thanks for the link BRUMMIE).

In the end I'll probably end up with a mix of both, some 'solid' terrain and some dismantlable terrain (which I won't be absolutely happy with of course, but it should be functional).

I think its a characteristic of the hobby we would all love to game with perfectly painted miniatures over perfect terrain. (In reality most of us can look around our gaming dens at hundreds of part built boards/scenery and figures in various states of completion and think if only......).
God! thats way to philosophical for me ??)

....and on my rules, I dug out my notes again last night; took some finding they were between my Wild West, Superhero and Danger girl scribblings, so I may make a start on sorting them out this weekend...........however, I need to paint up some more Frauleins to pit against my newly ordered Danger 5 figures also 8)
Posted by: mikeland, November 5, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 10
Another jaw dropingly good project. Look froward to seeing progress on this!
Posted by: chilledenuff, November 5, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 11
Flipping 'eck!  That's a huge project, even for a manic genius such as your good self.  Looks amazing
Posted by: Andym, November 6, 2014, 2:18pm; Reply: 12
Cheers gentlemen!

Here's the first bit of scenery from the broken Dyson...

I've also managed to paint the other Antenocities Hover Car I had...

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 6, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 13
Brilliant stuff Mr M!
Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 6, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 14
Brilliant stuff Mr M!
Posted by: 14409 (Guest), November 6, 2014, 5:52pm; Reply: 15
Very nice.
Posted by: tremblsic, November 14, 2014, 2:50pm; Reply: 16
Ever heard of Pavlov? Well everytime I see a new thread from Andym and (pic heavy) in the title, I start to drool over my keyboard...

Lots of amazing ideas in there as, usual!

Simon
Posted by: Andym, November 14, 2014, 9:26pm; Reply: 17
Thanks guys! :) :)

I've was looking for some Judge models when I remembered I had some old Adeptus Arbites kicking around. Painted JD colours I don't think they look too bad. This is the first...

I've also got an Imperial Guard Commander model to use as a Chief Judge.
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 14, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 18
Very nice.
Always disappointed they did not pursue the range.
Posted by: Red Shirt 1, November 14, 2014, 9:58pm; Reply: 19
It look gorgeous -- finding more may not be easy I tried a while ago to no avail  :-/
Posted by: Andym, November 15, 2014, 12:41am; Reply: 20
I had a wee looksie on ebay, it looks like they go for about £15 each. It's ok though, I've got three in the house already (1xshotgun, 1xbolter and 1xbolt pistol+power maul) and the commander makes 4. That's enough for a decent sized law cast!
Posted by: chilledenuff, November 15, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 21
Any reason for not using the Warlord judges?
Posted by: Andym, November 16, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 144
Very nice.
Always disappointed they did not pursue the range.

I think they did, but the newer ones weren't Jes Goodwin sculpts and didn't have yye same character!

Posted by: Andym, November 16, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chilledenuff
Any reason for not using the Warlord judges?

Some of the range don't really appeal to me. I would probably go foundry if any. It was just I had these lying around and I get the impression they were loosely based on 2000AD judges. Plus I really like these Arbites models!

Introducing Chief Justice Creed to my Judges cast...

He's an old Imperial Guard Lord Castellan Creed model, again found somewhere in my lead mountain that I thought might fit!
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 16, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 24
Another excellent paint job.
Posted by: Morgan, November 29, 2014, 11:26am; Reply: 25
Don't know if you're already aware of these?
http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=367
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 29, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Morgan

Interesting selection of stuff.
Posted by: Blaxkleric, November 29, 2014, 2:44pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Morgan

Wow! There is a definite 'Dredd' Film feel to those, especially if placed upon the bike riders.

Great painting on the old citadel sculpts btw - superb Chief Judge (proxy) mini imho :-)
Posted by: tremblsic, December 3, 2014, 5:18pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Morgan

I wonder how these would look on the Chronal Commandos...

Simon
Posted by: Andym, December 5, 2014, 10:16am; Reply: 29
Great heads! I wish I'd known about them before! They might work ok on 5ge Commandos, but you'd need to sculpt the eagles on them. I'm planning on using my Chronal Commandos as Citi-Def.
Posted by: Morgan, December 5, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Andym
I'm planning on using my Chronal Commandos as Citi-Def.

They would work very well, yes. By Grud, I predict a thrill-power overload!
Posted by: Andym, December 14, 2014, 12:59pm; Reply: 31
I've got the Mongoose Publishing Lawmaster but I'm not 100% happy with it. I seen a great sketch a while ago that I downloaded and kept for inspiation. It seems to be a cross between a Tron Lightcycle and a Lawmaster. The thing I like the most about it is the eagle wrapped over the front fairing.

I've used an old Space Marine bike as a basis. I know it doesn't give me the exact same tyres as the drawing but at least they're chunky...

I'm not sure if it needs a law badge/shield at the front. What does anybody think?
Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 14, 2014, 2:01pm; Reply: 32
Excellent sculpting.
Posted by: Robo1, December 14, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 33
Excellent stuff. In my humble opinion I would add a law badge then it is unmistakably a Lawmaster.
Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 14, 2014, 4:04pm; Reply: 34
Like that a lot. Agree that a badge on the front might be a nice touch.
Posted by: tremblsic, December 16, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 35
Really love the look of it all.

You're reference drawing has the bottom stripped section of the shield just below the head lights.  Whether you sculpt it or paint, it would fit nicely there and fill that blank section.

Simon
Posted by: Andym, December 19, 2014, 9:25am; Reply: 36
Cheers chaps!

Shield now added....

Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 19, 2014, 12:15pm; Reply: 37
Brilliant!
Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 19, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 38
Wow, excellent!
Posted by: Kispal, December 19, 2014, 6:56pm; Reply: 39
Top notch!
Posted by: chilledenuff, December 20, 2014, 6:57am; Reply: 40
More awesome from your workbench.  Brilliant again
Posted by: Andym, December 20, 2014, 8:24am; Reply: 41
Thanks gents!
Posted by: Red Shirt 1, December 20, 2014, 1:55pm; Reply: 42
Beautiful work!
Posted by: Andym, December 21, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 43
Just another wee guy to add....

Posted by: psullie, December 21, 2014, 10:40pm; Reply: 44
love the zoot suit  :)
Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 22, 2014, 5:40am; Reply: 45
Brilliant again.
Posted by: Brummie, December 23, 2014, 9:24am; Reply: 46
Awesome Bike. Loving the brushwork on all your figures top jobs!
Posted by: Andym, December 25, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 47
Thanks chaps! :D

Just waiting  my goodlady to get up this morning, I finished this. Its a Void mini. Not sure which faction. I've had her sitting in the lead pile for ages. I it might be fun to paint her in Rogue Trooper colours. Maybe some sort of female GI assassin?

Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 25, 2014, 10:58am; Reply: 48
I think I managed to avoid adding Void miniatures to my pending pile.

More excellent painting.
Posted by: Andym, January 7, 2015, 8:20am; Reply: 49
Thanks Ultravanillasmurf!

I've only got one Fattie model, so to give me a decent faction to field, I've had to make some fans/supporters.  

I'm not a big fan of the Mongoose Publishing Street Gang box set. The detail on some of it ain't great and some of the faces are a bit weird.

For Crimbo, I also received an Antenocities Workshop grav tank and a couple of taxis from Santa.

This is the tank. I'm going to use it as a Manta Prowl Tank. I've taken the strange phalic shaped sensor off of the top of the turret and replaced it with another eagle like the Lawmaster.

Posted by: chilledenuff, January 7, 2015, 8:34pm; Reply: 50
As always, stunning stuff.  Very, very cool
Posted by: 2 (Guest), January 7, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 51
Clever fella. What did you plan to do with the Chronal Commandoes BTW?
Posted by: Andym, January 7, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 52
Thanks chaps! My beloved Chronal Comandos are going to be used for Citi-Def. They're sitting on the painting table after I paint up some baddies!
Posted by: Brummie, January 8, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 53
Great stuff. Love the Fattie and all his minions!
Posted by: EndTransmission, January 17, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 54
Fantastic changes to the tank, that will make a great Manta!
Posted by: Andym, April 14, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 55
Thats the Manta tank painted. I may need to make a base to go with it. I don't think the aerials will work on this.  It might be too heavy....

Posted by: 2 (Guest), April 14, 2015, 2:59pm; Reply: 56
Brilliant!
Posted by: chilledenuff, April 14, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 57
Too damn productive by half!  Awesome stuff
Posted by: Robo1, April 15, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 58
Very nice indeed! I particularly like the Lawmaster.
Posted by: 144 (Guest), April 15, 2015, 12:08pm; Reply: 59
Wow! Great conversion.
Posted by: Brummie, April 15, 2015, 3:34pm; Reply: 60
Those are awesome!
Posted by: Andym, October 14, 2015, 8:50am; Reply: 61
So the 15 year old boy in me didn't like the PSI Anderson model I have, so I've converted it slightly. The original model is great from the waist up, but not very feminine down below.

I cut the the legs off, pinned them a bit wider apart and green stuff some curves on her......

Original model. Picture taken from the Foundry website......

My conversion.....

Posted by: Andy T, October 14, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 62
Take a look at the album cover 'Somewhere In Time' - Iron Maiden, front and back. Very similar with Blade Runner thrown in for good measure. And a hint of Doctor Who, and West Ham United :o)
Posted by: Brummie, October 16, 2015, 6:02am; Reply: 63
Looks good :)
Posted by: 144 (Guest), October 17, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 64
Very nice, the legs look longer than the original, a problem with all the Mongoose female figures.
Posted by: Andym, October 18, 2015, 10:12am; Reply: 65
The only problem with the longer legs is she looks huge compared to other figs!! Thats one big mumma!!

Just a quick family photo.......

Dredd and Anderson were painted at the same time using the same mixes. The only difference is, I've varnished Anderson with whats supposed to be matt varnish. She's very shiny and doesn't take well to photographs! :?

Edit: are all my pics looking squashed or is it just my ohone? :-/

Edit2: I think thats it fixed!
Posted by: 2 (Guest), October 18, 2015, 10:59am; Reply: 66
Look great - but yeah - the recent ones do look a bit squished
Posted by: 14409 (Guest), October 18, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 67
Wow, they look great.
Quoted Text

Dredd and Anderson were painted at the same time using the same mixes. The only difference is, I've varnished Anderson with whats supposed to be matt varnish. She's very shiny and doesn't take well to photographs! :?

I hate it when that happens. I have stuff that I've used the same varnish for, in the same way, afaict, and some batches come out shiny and some are as flat as anything.

Posted by: Brummie, October 18, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 68
They look great dude. Love the GW figs mixed in they work well together and as judges. I'd though to use Creed as an Arbites patrol leader for Necromunda.
Posted by: 144 (Guest), October 18, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 69
They do look great.
Posted by: 2 (Guest), October 19, 2015, 10:52am; Reply: 70
Quoted from 2
Look great - but yeah - the recent ones do look a bit squished

Not squished anymore BTW.
Posted by: Andym, October 19, 2015, 8:54pm; Reply: 71
Yeah, I found that copying and pasting from another forum messed me up! :-/

This big bad boy is Hammerstein. He's big. I'll try and get a few pics in the daylight maybe showing some scale shots. The lamp light isn't great for showing him off!

Posted by: 2 (Guest), October 19, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 72
Lovely!
Posted by: Andym, October 20, 2015, 8:02am; Reply: 73
Mucho Gracias Karlito!

Scale shot with Dredd.....

Posted by: 144 (Guest), October 20, 2015, 8:03am; Reply: 74
Very nice.
Posted by: Morgan, October 20, 2015, 9:55am; Reply: 75
If you ever felt the urge for a related project, a classic ABC Warriors MekQuake would go terribly well with Ol' Red-Eyes there. Just saying. He would be quite large, mind.
Posted by: Andym, October 20, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 76
I've already posted this on Robo 1s thread. I thought I'd put it here for completeness too. Its my quick play sheets for my Judge cast.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), October 21, 2015, 10:43am; Reply: 77
Nice. See if you can twist Graeme's arm to do a 2E version :)
Posted by: 144 (Guest), October 21, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 78
Very nice.

Should the Lawgiver have a single shot option, otherwise they have no aim option?
Posted by: Andym, October 21, 2015, 5:56pm; Reply: 79
The Lawgiver does have a single shot option. I've put that on the front of the sheet under the lawgiver entry. I was struggling for space on the rules sheet so I cut what I thought wasn't needed. It means the rules sheet is only one sheet and can be printed on the back of the cast sheet....which is what I've done.
Posted by: Andym, November 3, 2015, 11:31pm; Reply: 80
I've made an infill piece to go under the roadway I've made. This is really a test piece for colour as well. I quite fancy having neon lights around most of my buildings. The "Mr Robit" sign was a quick print off so i could get a game using it tonight. I think I'll 'neon' that up too

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 4, 2015, 7:54am; Reply: 81
That looks brilliant. The neon effect is fabulous.
Posted by: 14409 (Guest), November 4, 2015, 8:32am; Reply: 82
Yeah, that's amazing. The neon is perfect.
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 4, 2015, 9:45am; Reply: 83
Extremely good.

How do you do it?
Posted by: Andym, November 4, 2015, 9:58am; Reply: 84
Cheers chaps!

Which part do you want to know how to do Ultravanillasmurf? The neon?
Posted by: Andym, November 4, 2015, 8:27pm; Reply: 85
Sorry for the double post, I've managed the new signage for this.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 4, 2015, 8:43pm; Reply: 86
Superb. Where does this fit on the board?
Posted by: Brummie, November 4, 2015, 10:44pm; Reply: 87
Thats excellent love the flame thrower effect as well!
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 5, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 88
Quoted from Andym
Cheers chaps!

Which part do you want to know how to do Ultravanillasmurf? The neon?

Everything! ^___^

But especially the neon.
Posted by: Andym, November 5, 2015, 12:24pm; Reply: 89
So how to do neon signs....

Well....you don't need much. The making of the sign is just a bit of plastic card and some solder. You'll need superglue to stick the solder down and a knife to cut it.

1. Cut the plastic card and draw out your sign. Having a template to cut the solder really helps get the size of the bits right.

2. Glue your bits on with superglue.

3. Now for the neon to work it needs to be on a dark background. Its the contrast between light/dark that should fool the viewer into believing its real. I've started here with GW Leadbeltcher Metal.

4. I've then mixed a heavy wash. 1 part GW Nuln oil, 2 parts GW Abaddon Black to 3 parts water. Then allow it to dry.

5. Here I've used GW Mephiston Red and an old brush. The idea here is to drybrush into the cracks around the solder and drybrush a 'halo' around the letters.

6. Use the same colour as the last step but paint the letters a solid colour this time with a decent brush.

7. The next stage is just to add some white, GW Ceramic White, 1 part red to 1 part white. Don't paint the whole letter this time, but try and make each successful highlight a smaller line than the one before.

8. Add more white to your mix 1 part red to 2 parts white. Apply some of your whitest highlights at the start and end of the letters.

Posted by: chilledenuff, November 5, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 90
Cor Blimey, that's a bit good!
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 6, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 91
Thanks, that is great.
Posted by: Smoking gun, November 7, 2015, 6:07pm; Reply: 92
Great tutorial, so simple I think I could manage that.

Thank you,

Martin
Posted by: Andym, November 12, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 93
Thanks chap!

I'm still struggling to get the hoover bits i need. In the meantime I'll do a couple of more 'in fills'.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 12, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 94
Beautiful already!
Posted by: psullie, November 12, 2015, 9:22pm; Reply: 95
ohh that's very Blade Runner, i hear a faint 'Cross Now, cross now' in the background
Posted by: mikeland, November 13, 2015, 7:39am; Reply: 96
Excellent. I love all the little details you put into your builds!
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 13, 2015, 6:32pm; Reply: 97
Again Wow!
Posted by: Andym, November 16, 2015, 8:31am; Reply: 98
Ta much gents.

Thats the bar fill in finished.....

Posted by: 14409 (Guest), November 16, 2015, 8:45am; Reply: 99
Looks great. What's the effect in the top window?
Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 16, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 100
That is a thing of beauty.
Posted by: Robo1, November 16, 2015, 7:37pm; Reply: 101
Excellent work on the scenics,looks like a 3d comic, I can almost smell the streets.
Posted by: Andym, December 18, 2015, 2:52pm; Reply: 102
I got a couple of wee extra Antenocities cars recently. This is the first one. WARNING! No airbrushes were harmed in the painting of this wee beastie! Its all drybrushing and edge highlighting.

Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 18, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 103
Very nice, as per normal.
Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 18, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 104
wow...
Posted by: Brummie, December 18, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 105
Very nice!
Posted by: NurgleHH, December 18, 2015, 8:14pm; Reply: 106
The car is nearly perfect, but the windows? You made these perfect van for your ghostbusters table with the buildings mirrowing in the window glases. So, why nothing in this cars???
Posted by: Andym, December 19, 2015, 6:56am; Reply: 107
I don't have buildings yet to mirror.  ;D Once I get them sorted I may go back and try and work it out.

Thanks guys!
Posted by: Red Shirt 1, December 19, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 108
Andy as always -- Gorgeous!!!
Posted by: Andym, December 19, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 109
Thanks Red Shirt!

Here's the second car.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 20, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 110
They are gorgeous!
Posted by: NurgleHH, December 20, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 111
Wow, fantastic.
Posted by: Crucium Giger, December 21, 2015, 3:31pm; Reply: 112
Now that's how to dry brush
Posted by: Andym, December 21, 2015, 9:44pm; Reply: 113
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Next up, the first cab for Megacity Taxis. I don't think the reference is too obscure! ;) I struggled a bit with the text and check pattern. Anybody got any hints or tips how to do it better?

Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 21, 2015, 9:53pm; Reply: 114
Very good, well there does not appear to be room for a human driver ^____^,  if I recall....
Posted by: Brummie, December 22, 2015, 8:10am; Reply: 115
Love that taxi!
Posted by: Andym, December 22, 2015, 8:43am; Reply: 116
Quoted from 144
Very good, well there does not appear to be room for a human driver ^____^,  if I recall....

Cheers Ultravanillasmurf! ......but do you recall or do you totally recall?  ;)

Posted by: Andym, December 22, 2015, 8:47am; Reply: 117
Quoted from Brummie
Love that taxi!

Thanks Brummie!

I think the taxi is a nice model, but the wheels bug me. The rest of the cab is futuristic in style but the wheel hubs look like bad 80s plastic covers you had to buy out of Halfords when the originals fell off after hitting a bump. I was going to try and change them, but the back ones don't have any depth between the hubs and the car bodywork. :-/
Posted by: NurgleHH, December 22, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 118
Johnny Cab? I remember a guy from austria having some language problems years ago.... ;)
Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 22, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from Andym

Cheers Ultravanillasmurf! ......but do you recall or do you totally recall?  ;)

Totally...

Posted by: Andym, December 26, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 120
Quoted from NurgleHH
Johnny Cab? I remember a guy from austria having some language problems years ago.... ;)

Dam!! It's a name ok? He can spell it how he wants! ;) The Scottish school system ain't what it used to be! :)

Thanks very much everyone!

I've taken my hand to sculpting some wee robots. After seeing Cheetor and Mr Saturday's great 2000AD thread, I figured I needed some of my own. There is some robots out there I'll buy, but there's not much in the way of utility robots, so that's where I'll concentrate when i make my own.

This is the first guy. He's supposed to be some sort of street sweeper or house servant. I haven't decided yet. Hopefully I'll get better as I get used to sculpting small detail!

Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 26, 2015, 10:58am; Reply: 121
That's fantastic! Castable?
Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 26, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 122
Excellent, you could call it Vallon.
Posted by: Andym, December 28, 2015, 11:01am; Reply: 123
Quoted from 2
That's fantastic! Castable?

Probably not mate. I hadn't thought of any interest in it. :-/

Ultravanillasmurf- I had to look up what a Vallon was. :) Yeah it could double as a metal detector.

I've got a few more of these now.

Drone....

UPS Robot....

Billboard robot....

Posted by: 144 (Guest), December 28, 2015, 3:43pm; Reply: 124
Brilliant.

You could call the billboard robot Stanley.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green
Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 28, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 125
Superb!
Posted by: NurgleHH, December 28, 2015, 7:55pm; Reply: 126
Painting, terrain-buildig and now Miniatur modelling. I still believe, that you from a long lost stirps of the perry family. Right? You are a wizard, great stuff. Wunderbar, wesay in germany...:up:
Posted by: Brummie, January 4, 2016, 7:44pm; Reply: 127
Wow Excellent additions! Really good sculpts dude!
Posted by: Crucium Giger, January 7, 2016, 12:37pm; Reply: 128
The robots look fab
Posted by: Andym, January 24, 2016, 2:52pm; Reply: 129
This is just another wee guy I'm trying.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), January 24, 2016, 6:28pm; Reply: 130
Life. Don't talk to me about life.
Posted by: Andym, March 27, 2016, 1:15pm; Reply: 131
This one's either going to be a security drone or mobsters heavy support.....

Posted by: Andym, March 28, 2016, 8:33am; Reply: 132
That's me now got a pair of drones....

Posted by: 144 (Guest), March 28, 2016, 8:46am; Reply: 133
Excellent, ready to send their enemies to Oblivion...
Posted by: Andym, March 28, 2016, 1:04pm; Reply: 134

Next up Row Jaws.....

Posted by: 2 (Guest), March 28, 2016, 2:51pm; Reply: 135
Lovely stuff!
Posted by: Robo1, March 29, 2016, 9:07am; Reply: 136
Top notch (as usual) :)  Did you scratch build the drones?
Posted by: Crucium Giger, March 29, 2016, 9:45am; Reply: 137
Love the security drones.
Posted by: 144 (Guest), March 29, 2016, 1:22pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Robo1
Top notch (as usual) :)  Did you scratch build the drones?

I think they are these http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/bob-drones.html
Posted by: Andym, March 29, 2016, 5:22pm; Reply: 139
That's the ones.

Thanks chaps!
Posted by: chilledenuff, March 30, 2016, 10:34am; Reply: 140
:O  Too damn pretty!  
Posted by: Andym, April 24, 2016, 5:42pm; Reply: 141
Here's my latest add on to Megacity One. A Robo-butler....

Posted by: 2 (Guest), April 24, 2016, 5:58pm; Reply: 142
That's great. Did you sculpt that one too?
Posted by: psullie, April 24, 2016, 6:10pm; Reply: 143
oh that's special, lovely work
Posted by: Andym, April 24, 2016, 6:52pm; Reply: 144
He's an Empire of the Dead Clockwork Bulter.

Cheers guys!
Posted by: 144 (Guest), April 24, 2016, 7:19pm; Reply: 145
Excellent.
Posted by: Andym, April 28, 2016, 7:38pm; Reply: 146

I know its probably a bit early to show this one, but I was proud how it turned out.

Its an Infinity Haqqislam biker. I was a bitty daunted after seeing the paint job on the box for these things. I wanted to try my best.

Posted by: Robo1, April 29, 2016, 11:32am; Reply: 147
WOW! How did you get the effect on the bodywork? (I think you must be using the miniaturised crew from Fantastic Voyage!)
Posted by: Andym, April 30, 2016, 10:33am; Reply: 148
Cheers Robo1! The bike was base coated GW Merchrite Red, then used watered down Abaddon Black to outline the skulks and patterns. Nuln Oil was used to shade the panel lines. Then it was just a highlight to the skulls with a mix of the base colour plus Blazing Orange mix and use pure Blazing Orange for edge highlights around the panels.

Here's the finished biker...

Posted by: 2 (Guest), April 30, 2016, 10:12pm; Reply: 149
That's spectacular.
Posted by: Andym, May 2, 2016, 7:29am; Reply: 150
Cheers Karl!

Next up, a Female Assassin Droid. She's a Statuesque Mini.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), May 2, 2016, 7:54am; Reply: 151
Gorgeous.
Posted by: Andym, May 3, 2016, 6:06am; Reply: 152
Thanks Karl!

Assassin Droid #2

Posted by: Morgan, May 3, 2016, 8:33am; Reply: 153
I think that the genius of people such as yourself and Kev is often in the picking of colours. I would never think to do a model like that in yellow but, having seen it, it's the perfect choice. Well done.
Posted by: Crucium Giger, May 3, 2016, 2:39pm; Reply: 154
Some more rather splendid offerings here, gorgeous work.
Posted by: Andym, May 4, 2016, 2:15pm; Reply: 155
Thanks gents!

Droid no.3. I've only got one more Golden Girl to do after this.

Posted by: Andym, May 4, 2016, 2:18pm; Reply: 156
I hope you don't mind me double posting today, the light seems to be working, so I took a group shot of the completed stuff so far.....

Posted by: Crucium Giger, May 5, 2016, 9:42am; Reply: 157
You just keep them coming Andy :)
Posted by: chilledenuff, May 5, 2016, 12:43pm; Reply: 158
*thud* sorry, that was the noise of my jaw hitting the floor.  Great, great workmanship!
Posted by: Andym, May 6, 2016, 3:42pm; Reply: 159
Thanks guys! Much appreciated! :)

Posted by: 2 (Guest), May 6, 2016, 5:27pm; Reply: 160
They are top.
Posted by: Andy T, May 8, 2016, 12:21am; Reply: 161
Is it wrong to lust over a droid???
Posted by: Overlord, May 8, 2016, 8:59am; Reply: 162
Great PJs Andy, as usual.  8)

Quoted from Andy T
Is it wrong to lust over a droid???

I met someone who looks a lot like you,
She does the things you do, but she is an IBM

She's only programmed to be very nice,
But she's as cold as ice, whenever I get too near,
She tells me that she likes me very much,
But when I try to touch, she makes it all too clear.

She is the latest in technology,
Almost mythology, but she has a heart of stone,
She has an IQ of 1,001,
She has a jump suit on, and she's also a telephone.

Although her memory banks overflow
No one would ever know, all she says, "Is that what you want?"
Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
And kiss her interface, until then I'll leave her alone.

© Jeff Lynne 1981

Posted by: 14414 (Guest), May 8, 2016, 9:50am; Reply: 163
Overlord,  wow " yours truly 2095",  that's a set of lyrics I didn't think id see on here  :)

AndyM top job on the HKKF, and you've managed to get a superb depth of colour on them, and considering how delicate they are, that's something ( I know I tried with a blue over white scheme, and it failed  :(  )
Posted by: Overlord, May 8, 2016, 1:54pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from 14414
Overlord,  wow " yours truly 2095",  that's a set of lyrics I didn't think id see on here  :)

'Time' was the very first (vinyl) album that I bought.  It was the first thing that entered my head as I read Andy T's comment.  :)
Posted by: 14414 (Guest), May 8, 2016, 2:34pm; Reply: 165
Overlord,  I see.   :)   and it is a cracking album as well.  General ELO fan or just that one?
Posted by: NurgleHH, May 8, 2016, 8:27pm; Reply: 166
Excellent Andy. Even as a not-fan I took a look on these figures at warlord...
Posted by: Andym, November 5, 2016, 8:17am; Reply: 167
So, it's been a while. I'm still struggling to find the parts I need to do most of the buildings I want, but I have found a couple of pieces. I found, so far, that car boot sales are the way to go. I highly recommend if your doing any sci fi-y type game check them out. Just put in a quick google search for your local one and pay a visit.

I also found plastic tubes that I'm going to use as a raised travellator/walkway. They're hamster tubes from pets at home. £8 a set. I'm making walkways to put inside and I'll make some stanchions to keep them off of the ground.

I'm also going to build several, large, raised platforms. I figure this will give my board more variation of height, which I like.

Anyway pictures so far....

Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 5, 2016, 8:28am; Reply: 168
Excellent.

The building made from what I guess us a fan heater is particularly good, as is the dalek based building. Reminds me of the Big Finish story set in the computer games boom of the '80s

Are you going to use two hairdryers stuck together (or one split in two) for the full Matt Irvine effect?
Posted by: Andym, November 13, 2016, 6:03pm; Reply: 169
If I could find enough dud hairdryers, I would! ;)

I've got a couple of the raised levels painted up now. My plan is to have four of these that can either be split between different parts of the board or put back to back in the middle of the board to create one big higher level. The pipe bits are separate and can be moved anywhere on the board.

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 13, 2016, 7:25pm; Reply: 170
Unbelievable! It's just gorgeous! Someone do some second edition JD stats so we get a game on this :)
Posted by: Bagshot, November 14, 2016, 9:51am; Reply: 171
Fabulous terrain pieces!
Posted by: Robo1, November 14, 2016, 12:46pm; Reply: 172
This board just gets better (oh I'm changing to an even darker shade of green!) with a touch of Gollum thrown in, 'I wants it'. Excellent work as ever. The inspired detail and the finishing...wow.

I might be inspired enough to have another go at converting my first edition stats......
Posted by: Andym, November 19, 2016, 9:28am; Reply: 173
Cheers guys! Remember Robo 1, it was you that started me on this big journey! ;)

Some on LAF suggested calling the Dalek head building, 'Terry Nation Block'. So here we have it....Terry Nation Block. Plus a cut down water pistol to act as sci fi gubbins.....

Posted by: Bagshot, November 19, 2016, 9:40am; Reply: 174
You, sir, are a bloody genius!
Posted by: Smoking gun, November 19, 2016, 11:27am; Reply: 175
Great work, my wife likes it too.

Martin
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 21, 2016, 10:26am; Reply: 176
Excellent.
Posted by: Andym, November 26, 2016, 2:21pm; Reply: 177
Thanks chaps! That's high praise indeed, if your wife likes it Smoking Gun! ;)

I ordered a bundle of crappy plastic 1:48 scale model railway people from eBay. If you're willing to wait for the delivery from China they're quite cheap! I've got 300 guys(and girls) to base and very quickly block paint! I'm not going to spend any time doing highlights. I figure the mass of them as opposed to the individual figures will give the look I'm going for. 2foot rule and all that!

When it comes to gaming with the civilians, I'm thinking of just being obstacles for LOS. I could move them about randomly during play, but that might take too much time. :?
Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 26, 2016, 2:24pm; Reply: 178
They could be strange aliens or hallucinations.

If you do not want to move them all the time, maybe only move them when someone shoots near them, a reverse Noise and Mayhem rule?
Posted by: Crucium Giger, November 28, 2016, 11:25am; Reply: 179
The Terry Nation Block is awesome :D
Posted by: Andym, November 29, 2016, 11:47am; Reply: 180
Thanks Giger!

Someone came up with a good idea on LAF. Roll a D6 and that's how many civilian bases you can move at the start of a turn. It should work.

So another side to this project!......I've become a bit impatient! Antenocities were supposed to bringing out their Samsara Utility Sci Fi Truck, but so far it's not appeared on their website. I've tried asking but got no response. So I've taken to building my own. I'm not copying theirs, I've seen some pictures on line that I've saved for inspiration.

I want a few trucks to add to the hustle and bustle of MC1. I might ask to see how much it cost to be cast. It is fairly big though, so I'll see.

WIP so far.....

Posted by: 144 (Guest), November 29, 2016, 5:58pm; Reply: 181
Looks good.
Posted by: Crucium Giger, November 30, 2016, 11:07am; Reply: 182
If casting is going to happen would it be possible to throw some coin at you for one?
Posted by: Andym, November 30, 2016, 5:36pm; Reply: 183
Let me see if I can build it and get it cast first buddy! ;D

Bit of an update. So seeing the inspiration pictures side by side with the build pictures I realise I'm not happy with the back. So I've scraped that and used it to build the chassis.

Oh and forgot to post final pictures of this wee fellow....

Posted by: 2 (Guest), November 30, 2016, 9:32pm; Reply: 184
Spot on!
Posted by: Red Shirt 1, January 1, 2017, 2:46pm; Reply: 185
Words fail! Fantastic!
Posted by: Hawkeye, January 17, 2017, 10:50pm; Reply: 186
Looks great mate did you use expvc to build it, look forward to seeing it completed also did you get your ship finished. :) :)
Posted by: Andym, January 19, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 187
Thanks gents.

I used 3mm foamed pvc for the truck mate!

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/3mm-white-foamed-pvc/a-2048/

If you mean the Floatel, the build is nearly done. At least once I stop gluing my fingers to it! :'( I'll get some pics up here when the LAF competition is finished.
Posted by: Andym, March 19, 2017, 7:51am; Reply: 188
So over on the Lead Adventure Forum they ran a Build Something Contest. The theme was to build something that flies. I had this in my inspiration folder for a while and used the comp as an excuse to build it. I wasn't sure what the picture is supposed to be, a ferry or a flying hotel or bus. Someone suggested calling it a Floatel, which has stuck.....

I decided not to make it quite as big as the drawing. It would've worked out HUGE, so I dialled it down to only just two stories.

Here's the build before paint. I used bits of the old Dalek mask I used for the Terry Nation Block to make the wings, the engine is a few bottle caps stuck end to end with plastic card scraps and solder, and the rest is mostly foamed PVC and plastic card......

And the finished article with paint.....

Posted by: 2 (Guest), March 19, 2017, 12:35pm; Reply: 189
So great…
Posted by: Crucium Giger, March 20, 2017, 10:04am; Reply: 190
Good Lord, outstanding doesn't really cover to be honest.
Excellent build and paint job, any gaming table would be lucky to have this on it.
Posted by: Andym, March 30, 2017, 8:59am; Reply: 191
Thanks gents! I'll need to watch peoples sleeves and table knocking as well Crucium! ;)

So I'm moving house in a few days, so this will be the last update for a while! 1:1 scale projects come first(.....or so the wife tells me! ;))

I managed to find a couple of oscillating fans the other day and started making them into tower blocks. My original plan was to use either vacuums or fans to build these. It seems that I've been a bit silly and now turned my fan INTO a hoover! :o I think I might need to break up the shape of the base with some stuff around the outside. Maybe some buttresses or supports or something.

The inside reception with eventually have a back dividing wall cutting across from the lift entrance(the cylindrical shape in the middle) My is to have a security reception in there and some potted plants/trees in the corners.

Posted by: 144 (Guest), March 30, 2017, 3:51pm; Reply: 192
Excellent.

Love the Floatel.
Posted by: Andym, July 17, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 193
I don't normally swear on here, but f*** you very much Photobucket! >:(

Like many, ALL of my pictures I've posted over the years on here are now blanked out! I'll try to get the URLs replaced when it can and if I can remember which pics go where!

For the time being here is the culmination of this threads work in a few of the pics, thanks to MyAlbum....

I've managed to bring my toys out of storage for five minutes and get some hobby time in.

I bought a teddy from Wyrd Minatures. I plan to use it as some rich kids toy thats malfunctioned and gone rogue! And I've got a gorilla from Crooked Dice. He's going to be part of my monkey gang. The muscle......wearing a tutu......because who's going to argue with a gorilla in a tutu? :o

Posted by: Bagshot, July 17, 2017, 6:01pm; Reply: 194
Your work, as always, is an inspiration to lesser mortals such as I.

Photobucket....:peep:

Gorilla in a tutu.... ;D
Posted by: Smoking gun, July 18, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 195
It's great to be reminded of your excellent work.

Photobucket have messed up all the forums I visit and I will have to find an alternative photo hosting service too.

Thanks again,

Martin
Posted by: Andym, July 21, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 196
Cheers fellas!

I've managed to get some painting time in and painted the evil robot bear....

Posted by: Robo1, July 22, 2017, 4:15pm; Reply: 197
Brilliant job as always sir.
Although I see the curse of the removal of the ip licence means no dredd figures from mongoose/warlod 'fume' It has been cancelled just as the final promised models were being completed. It looks like its not worth a company taking on an ip licence for anything requiring a lot of different models anymore.
Posted by: Andym, August 6, 2017, 7:30am; Reply: 198
Cheers Robo 1. The figures were hit and miss anyway. I like looking at everybody else ranges out there and trying to make them fit. It gives me an excuse to buy ALL those sci fi figures I've been drooling over for years! ;)
Print page generated: November 24, 2017, 11:58pm