Crooked Dice Forum    Also starring    Open Talk  ›  Musings on IP licences
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Musings on IP licences  This thread currently has 91 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Robo1
July 22, 2017, 10:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Trusted Minion with Keys
Over recent years there has been many issues and disapointment over attempts at developing tabletop games and minature ranges around ip licences. At the end of which the licence is removed the licence solicitors slap their version of a d notice on the miniatures company and leave them to take the bile and flak from us gamers or thats what it looks like to me personnaly. Many of these firms are well estabished but seem to fail with ip licences? This may suggest too much outside interference, and a lack of patience and understanding on how long it takes to develop and playtest a game that captures and imerses you in the licence. But i beleive what they really want is bordgame with some miniatures that they can stick their logo on and get on the shelf next to the mug, lunchbox and keyring as fast as possible. Unfortunately gone are the days where the miniature gamer is likely to have a omprehensive range of models and bespoke game system for many of their favourite licences and will have to rely on boardgame components, conversions or proxies and homemade rules following another false dawn.

[sorry just needed to get that off my chest!]
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Dadlamassu
July 23, 2017, 3:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Slightly Less Expendable Minion
Quoted from Robo1
Unfortunately gone are the days where the miniature gamer is likely to have a omprehensive range of models and bespoke game system for many of their favourite licences and will have to rely on boardgame components, conversions or proxies and homemade rules following another false dawn.

[sorry just needed to get that off my chest!]

Actually, we (our club) have always used proxies, home made terrain and written our own rules and never relied on manufacturers producing exactly what we need.  That said we are quite happy to use the unique figures made specifically for some of the licensed games if the price is right.  Mostly these are the monsters as substitute humans are relatively easy to find.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 4
Robo1
July 23, 2017, 7:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Trusted Minion with Keys
Oh i've done that over the years also [its often enjoyable]. Its when you have started to invest in something and then the plug is pulled.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 4
Brummie
August 13, 2017, 8:01am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Faithful Lackey
I kind of got used to this disappointment with GW let alone with licensed games. I am skeptical of picking up licenesed products. I love the look of The Walking dead and Star Wars Imperial assault but my small budget for gaming means I couldn't collect all of it without worrying about being able to pick all the commercially available sets.

Fallout is tempting me at the moment especially the FFG game I am interested in seeing more about it as at the end of the day I can use the figures in the many Post Apoc games I play.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 4
Robo1
August 16, 2017, 11:46am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Trusted Minion with Keys
Quoted from Brummie
I kind of got used to this disappointment with GW let alone with licensed games. I am skeptical of picking up licenesed products. I love the look of The Walking dead and Star Wars Imperial assault but my small budget for gaming means I couldn't collect all of it without worrying about being able to pick all the commercially available sets.

Fallout is tempting me at the moment especially the FFG game I am interested in seeing more about it as at the end of the day I can use the figures in the many Post Apoc games I play.

Hi Brummie,
I actually have the Imperial Assault stuff (I've collect it as it comes out so the expense has been spread out a little). Fortunately I already have a large collection of the Wizards Star Wars figures to fall back on if they stop these! FFG though seem to have handled the licence pretty well so maybe they will succeed where others have not. It is annoying though because there is a limit to my converting abilities (eye-sight's not going to get any better) so when a range comes out you automatically want to get them. Guess it will always be the same unfortunately.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Crooked Dice Forum    Also starring    Open Talk  ›  Musings on IP licences