Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Megacity One Project (pic heavy)
Crooked Dice Forum    Gaming    7TV  ›  Megacity One Project (pic heavy)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Megacity One Project (pic heavy)  This thread currently has 1,057 views. Print Print Thread
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 » All Recommend Thread
Andym
November 4, 2014, 11:59am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Trusted Minion
So Robo1 has a lot to answer for! After seeing his thread on 7TV Dredd it got me thinking I'd like to do my own 2000AD/7TV.

[url] http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1360010010/[/url]

I've been trying to come up with some game and board ideas that I'd like to try and build. I always feel future boards are very flat and two dimensional, so to start with I'd like a board with a bit of height. My only issue with this,  is tall buildings quickly become a gaming bottleneck. The only way in and out being the ground floor. So my thinking is to have modular tower blocks so that the levels will be interchangeable and have some of the levels with attachments for walkways between the blocks. My other thing I think would be good for height would be raised freeways. Maybe at different heights and angles. I need to try and make it so it's not so cluttered you can't get down to move minis and measure ranges!

This is the inspiration I've found around the net...

I really like the towers in the first pic. I think they'd suit being modular. I'll just make the front halves and position them at the board edges.

Heres some of my ideas to add to that. ..

I've being following this guys tutorial on LAF to do concrete and I've used it for the first of four base boards. Each one is 24"x24".

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=26860.0

I've also got a couple of OOP Antenocities hover cars which are not on telescopic aerials so the height can be changed

And this is where it all stands at the mo..

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
November 4, 2014, 2:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
weeping… so gorgeous...
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 198
republic of tolworth
November 4, 2014, 4:22pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Vaguely Valued Minion
Gosh  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 198
Robo1
November 4, 2014, 5:43pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Trusted Minion with Keys
Very Impressive!

Must admit I've been through the same process as you in that I want to represent some height, but you have to have easy access to game on it? (I also have the extra handicap that I'm nowhere near as good at terrain modelling as you are - so I've chickened out so far

I did a little bit of playtesting with the character stats I'd done on the old Necromunda scenery and this seemed to work quite well and  I've wondered whether I could build something like that but more Mega City one looking. (Also I don't have a lot of storage space so that's also a consideration).

However yours is looking excellent so far (as usual)

One idea I thought of was maybe trying to use a clear acetate or similar for floors and walkways to let the light through? (Another issue with tall boards)

Must try and get my rules typed up into one document (this may have just got me motivated again!)
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 198
Red Shirt 1
November 4, 2014, 8:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Trusted Minion with Keys
This insanity must end!

It's Gorgeous!

I can't wait to see the finished work.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 198
Hawkeye
November 4, 2014, 10:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Vaguely Valued Minion
Nice one where did you find the images re buildings.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 198
Brummie
November 4, 2014, 11:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Faithful Lackey
Robo1 try these. Might make a good start that can be dressed up. There is a slightly smaller £50 set but its fills a 4x4 board nicely with a few extras

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warg.....;hash=item2ed22cb6f5

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 198
Andy T
November 4, 2014, 11:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
A life long Who fan
Trusted Minion with Keys
For back drops and further ideas, have a gander at the artwork of Derek Riggs' painting for Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time album cover. The vinyl version is better as it's bigger.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 198
Andym
November 5, 2014, 6:42am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Trusted Minion
Quoted from Robo1
Very Impressive!

Must admit I've been through the same process as you in that I want to represent some height, but you have to have easy access to game on it? (I also have the extra handicap that I'm nowhere near as good at terrain modelling as you are - so I've chickened out so far

I did a little bit of playtesting with the character stats I'd done on the old Necromunda scenery and this seemed to work quite well and  I've wondered whether I could build something like that but more Mega City one looking. (Also I don't have a lot of storage space so that's also a consideration).

However yours is looking excellent so far (as usual)

One idea I thought of was maybe trying to use a clear acetate or similar for floors and walkways to let the light through? (Another issue with tall boards)

Must try and get my rules typed up into one document (this may have just got me motivated again!)

I was hoping the same thing with the Necromunda style board. I'm hoping if I have enough walkways between buildings and other ways to go up and down the board it will make it playable.

I hadn't even considered the light thing. I'm hoping to leave enough space to play round though! I'm not sure the acetate (while giving you light) would look the part though!

If your struggling with terrain, why not go down the route of toy/scrap bashing. Someone on the LAF suggested using super soakers and nerf guns for terrain. My brother and myself dismantled an old broken Dyson last night to use the funky shapes in it!

If you ever get the rules written mate and I ever get my board finished AND if there's ever a Crooked Dice games get-together we might actually get a game together!!

@Hawkeye-if you stick in a search fir concept buildings, theres a lot of good artists out there that have done the hard part and dreamed up these ideas.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 198
Robo1
November 5, 2014, 12:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Trusted Minion with Keys
Fair point on the acetate - its always a balance between looking the part and being playable.

As to kit bashing toys, appliances etc; I've been through that collecting all sorts and then throwing them out again as I've nowhere really to keep them - Storage is my biggest issue.
Recently I've been buying terrain that you can slot/clip together and dismantle again for storage. Maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing but functional, hence the Necromunda thoughts. (On that note thanks for the link BRUMMIE).

In the end I'll probably end up with a mix of both, some 'solid' terrain and some dismantlable terrain (which I won't be absolutely happy with of course, but it should be functional).

I think its a characteristic of the hobby we would all love to game with perfectly painted miniatures over perfect terrain. (In reality most of us can look around our gaming dens at hundreds of part built boards/scenery and figures in various states of completion and think if only......).
God! thats way to philosophical for me

....and on my rules, I dug out my notes again last night; took some finding they were between my Wild West, Superhero and Danger girl scribblings, so I may make a start on sorting them out this weekend...........however, I need to paint up some more Frauleins to pit against my newly ordered Danger 5 figures also
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 198
mikeland
November 5, 2014, 12:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Trusted Minion
Another jaw dropingly good project. Look froward to seeing progress on this!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 198
chilledenuff
November 5, 2014, 6:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Entrusted Enforcer
Flipping 'eck!  That's a huge project, even for a manic genius such as your good self.  Looks amazing

Smile!  It's not that bad!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 198
Andym
November 6, 2014, 2:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Trusted Minion
Cheers gentlemen!

Here's the first bit of scenery from the broken Dyson...

I've also managed to paint the other Antenocities Hover Car I had...

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 198
November 6, 2014, 4:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Brilliant stuff Mr M!
E-mail E-mail Reply: 13 - 198
November 6, 2014, 4:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Brilliant stuff Mr M!
E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 198
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Crooked Dice Forum    Gaming    7TV  ›  Megacity One Project (pic heavy)